• School Counselor - My life is still moving forward. An update would include my decision to move from family counseling to school counseling. To do this I have added a Maste...
    9 years ago

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Day 22 Update from the Surgeon..... Not a great report!!!

The surgeon said that under my front teeth, where the bone was ground down, he put in harvested bone... I didn't know that I had bone from someone else.... but anyway I have a possible infection there where my bone and the harvested bone is fusing together. He put me on an antibiotic for it. Now I know why I am still having so much pain there.

Also, one of my front teeth is discolored and may need a root canal. He said this probably happened due to my palate being split and the nerves being moved around. He said I must wear this splint for two more weeks then he will get me in with my dentist asap to look at the tooth.

I am frustrated, concerned and a little sad about it.

This is by far the hardest thing I have every gone through. If I hadn't had my dentist, orthodontist, and three surgeons agree that I needed this, I would probably be mad at myself for doing it.

I am going back to work tomorrow. I did pretty good on Tuesday. : )

Sorry for the "not so good" update, but I know I will make it through. Blessings to you all.

8 comments:

  1. Oh Rita! I am so sorry to hear you've got to deal with these extra bumps in your surgery road. I will definitely be keeping you in my thoughts in the coming days and weeks.... You are right though, you *will* make it through, and think of how much better all the "real" food will taste when you know what you've gone through to earn every single bite!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Rita, thanks for being honest in your update...I can't imagine how frustrating this is for you. I always hope for the best for everyone going through this, but the sad reality is that there is risk involved for anyone. I'm not sure why you weren't told immediately post-surgery that you needed extra bone. I truly hope things will get better, and the ocean surrounding your recovery sailboat will be less turbulent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Rita, I'm sorry to hear your disheartening news. The rolloer coaster of highs & lows, good news & not so good news. Will sure be hoping those antibiotics kick in and clear up that bone sight infection in a hurry.

    Hang in there. It's a dissappointing set back and it rots that you have to go through this. I would be upset too!( I don't know if you have chatted with Holly at all~ she had this with both her front teeth. She might be able to reassure you in this regard?) It doesn't seem it now, but this too will become part of a distant nightmare.

    All the best, please keep us informed, and all the best at work :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys... I so appreciate your support. I think all this is just crazy and I am ready for it to be over, but I know things like this take time, so I will hang in there. I go back to the surgeon next week, and I am taking questions for him to answer. I feel like he did a lot of things that I don't understand yet. I will update you guys then. And to you all that have not had the surgery yet, I am just unusual so don't worry... this most likely will not happen to you. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rita, I've been reading your blogs for some time now i havent had surgery yet in fact it im pretty far from it .. i just wanted to say im sorry your having a hard time right now and hope things get better soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry that you are dealing with "issues". I hope that once you get over this hurdle, that nothing else will come up.

    I need to see a dentist soon. My scheduled appt. is not for another month, but I just hate that I have such sensitive teeth. I'm starting to panic that I have a mouthful of cavities ... ugh. The orthodontist just told me that the nerves coming back will give off radiating pain to teeth ... normal. I just want to know that it is ALL good.

    In the end I bet it will be ALL WORTH IT. Faith, right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh such is life at times!!! Hopefully things start to look up for you and you get a smoother ride. Good luck xx

    ReplyDelete