• School Counselor - My life is still moving forward. An update would include my decision to move from family counseling to school counseling. To do this I have added a Maste...
    9 years ago

Friday, April 10, 2009

Day Four

It has been another day now. I am still swollen and feel bad. I have been using the ice packs and taking the pain meds. I am not brave enough to put pictures yet. They are pretty bad. When I feel better, maybe I will. I want a good after before I show the "terrible". lol

Here are the surgery details...I left my house at 6:00am and arrived at the hospital at 7:45am. The surgery started at 10:00 am. It lasted 8 hours and then 2 hours in recovery. I went to sleep before they took me to the OR. I woke up in my room but only for a few minutes. I slept the first night. Besides throwing up so much blood and it running from my nose, I think I did alright. The surgeon gave my family details on why it went so long.

He stated he moved both jaws forward, and widen the bone under my nose to help me breath better. He had to file the bone under my nose (which he didn't know he was going to have to do) so my teeth would sit right and he filed my upper teeth. He also had to widening my upper and lower jaw and when he brought them forward it made my nose smaller. He said if this had been done 10 years ago, it would have been a 16 hour surgery. He told them I was quite a challenge.

That is all I know for now. Thank you guys for all the support. "So happy for you V"

5 comments:

  1. Wow! Sounds like you had quite an ordeal in the OR. Hopefully you start to feel better soon.

    And don't worry. While all orthobloggers LOVE pictures, you are not the first to decide NOT to post pictures. :) We don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you went through the ringer! So the surgeon's plan can totally change once he gets in there? Had he already planned on widening your upper and lower jaw or was that something he decided to do once he got in there?
    You must be so exhausted. Hope you can get some rest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rita! I think I've caught up with you now! Don't worry about the pictures - I've always been a 'warts and all' kinda gal. I'm sure you don't look as bad as you think - but when you feel low that's not going to help! It's going to be so very worth it in the end! Sounds like it was quite an ordeal, and I'm sure your breathing will be better once all the clots have gone! That's what I'm hoping! :D Thinking of you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rita...hope I didn't put you on the spot by asking for pics (it's the voyeur in me!). I could be wrong, but shaving bone off of the skull tends to make the face hurt. But that's not an educated guess or anything. Hope you're able to get some rest...take care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you are home, sorry you've gone through so much but hopefully you feel better as the days and weeks go on.

    ReplyDelete